TIMOTHY FERRIS is the author of ten books, among them the bestsellers The Whole Shebang and Coming of Age in the Milky Way, which have been translated into fifteen languages and were named by The New York Times as two of the leading books published in the twentieth century. A former newspaper reporter and editor of Rolling Stone magazine, Ferris is a frequent contributor to The New Yorker.
Ferris wrote and narrated two television specials — "The Creation of the Universe", which has aired in network prime time annually for the past 14 years, and "Life Beyond Earth", which premiered on PBS Nov. 10, 1999. He produced the Voyager phonograph record, an artifact of human civilization containing music, sounds of Earth and encoded photographs launched aboard the Voyager interstellar spacecraft, and was among the journalists selected as candidates to fly aboard the Space Shuttle in 1986.
Ferris has received the American Institute of Physics prize, the American Association for the Advancement of Science prize, and a Guggenheim Fellowship. His books have been nominated for the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.
Professor Ferris has taught in five disciplines at four universities, and is emeritus professor at the University of California, Berkeley.
• BIBLIOGRAPHY •
- The Whole Shebang: A State-of-the-Universe(s) Report
- , New York, Simon & Schuster, (main selection, The Book-of-the-Month-Club), 1997; London, Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1997; Barcelona, Editorial Critica, 1997; Munich, Droemer Knaur Verlag, 1998; Taiwan, Business Weekly Publications, 1998; Tel Aviv, Hed Arzi Publishing House, 1998; Poznan, Poland, Rebis, 1998; Tokyo, Tokuma Shoten, 1999.
- The Universe and Eye with illustrations by Ingram Pinn
- London, Pavilion Books, 1993; San Francisco, Chronicle Books, 1993.
- The Mind's Sky: Human Intelligence in a Cosmic Context
- New York, Bantam Books (selection of The Book-of-the-Month-Club) 1992; London and Sydney, Bantam, 1992; Tel-Aviv, Sifriat Ma'aviv, 1992; Rio de Janeiro, Editorial Campus, 1992; Berlin, Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag, 1992 (paperback, 1995); Amsterdam, De Haan, 1992; Copenhagen, Gyldendal, 1994. Digital publication, Voyager Enhanced Book, Santa Monica, 1992.
- World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy, and Mathematics (editor)
- Boston, Little, Brown, (main selection, The Book-of-the-Month-Club), 1991. Paperback editions, Boston, Little, Brown, 1993, 1999.
- Coming of Age in the Milky Way
- New York, William Morrow & Co., Inc. (main selection, The Book-of-the-Month-Club), 1988; London, The Bodley Head, 1989; Barcelona, Critica, 1989; Berlin & Basel, Birkhaeuser Verlag, 1989; Tokyo, Kosaku sha Ltd, 1989; New York, Anchor/Doubleday paperback, 1989; Rio de Janeiro, Editorial Campus, 1990; Rome, Leonardo, 1990; Amsterdam, Unieboek/DeHaan, 1990; London, Vintage paperback, 1990; Aman, Jordan Book Center, 1990; Tel-Aviv, Sifriat Ma'aviv, 1990; Paris, Hachette, 1990; Copenhagen, Gylendal, 1990.
- The Practice of Journalism (with Bruce Porter)
- New York, Prentice-Hall, 1988.
- San Francisco, Sierra Club Books (featured alternate, The Book-of-the-Month Club), 1980; London, Thames-Hudson Ltd., 1980; Berlin & Basel, Birkhaeuser Verlag, 1982; Rome, Fabbri, 1982; Tokyo, 1982; New York, Stewart Tabori & Chang, 1982; Paris, Mazarine, 1983; New York, Harrison House, 1987.
- Murmurs of Earth: The Voyager Interstellar Record
- with Carl Sagan, Frank Drake, Ann Druyan, Jon Lomberg and Linda Salzman Sagan, New York, Random House (alternate selection, The Book-of-the-Month Club), 1978.
- The Red Limit: The Search for the Edge of the Universe
- New York, William Morrow & Co., Inc. (alternate selection, The Book-of-the-Month Club), 1977; London, Transworld, 1978; Stockholm, Forum, 1978; Tokyo, 1979; Budapest, Konyvkaido, Brody Sandor, 1982; Basel, Birkhauser Verlag, 1982; revised edition, Morrow/Quill, June 1983; Amsterdam, De Feniks, 1986; Budapest, Gondolat, 1985.
• WEB PRESENCE •
Life Beyond Earth A Film by Timothy Ferris
An Interview with Timothy Ferris
ASTRONOMY's Advisory Board -- Timothy Ferris