THURSDAY, JANUARY 10
- 7:45 pm. Introductory Remarks: Lynn Kaufelt, President & Co-founder
- 8:00 pm. Phyllis Rose: Can Writers Ride Bikes? Writing Writers’ Lives
The John Hersey Memorial Address
Reception to follow at the Oldest House Museum & Garden, 322 Duval St.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 11
- 9:30-9:40 am. Introduction: Peyton Evans, Program Chair
- 9:40 – 10:00 am. Geoff Dyer on D.H. Lawrence: “Out of Sheer Rage”
- 10:00 -10:45 am. Mark Doty on Walt Whitman: Somewhere, Waiting for You
- 11:05-11:50 am. Pico Iyer on Graham Greene: Possessed by a Scribbling Ghost
- 11:50–12:30 pm. Mark Doty, Geoff Dyer, Pico Iyer: I and Not I: Resonance and Reflection. How Writers Become Ourselves. Moderator: Christopher Lydon
Book Signings: Mark Doty, Geoff Dyer, Pico Iyer, Phyllis Rose
- 2:15–2:45 pm. Julie Salamon on Wendy Wassserstein: An Uncommon Life
- 2:45–3:00 pm. Rosalind Brackenbury: “Becoming George Sand”
- 3:00–3:15 pm. Jay Parini on Leo Tolstoy: “The Last Station”
- 3:15–3:30 pm. Colm Tóibín on Henry James: “The Master”
- 3:50–4:30 pm. Rosalind Brackenbury, Paul Hendrickson, Jay Parini, Colm Tóibín: Re-imagining A Life. Moderator: Robert D. Richardson
Book Signings: Rosalind Brackenbury, Jay Parini, Colm Tóibín
- 4:30–6:00 pm. “Between the Lines”: Exhibit & Reception at Lucky Street Gallery, 540 Greene St. Works by Curt Richter, Barry Moser, and Lucky Street Artists. Book signing by Lincoln Perry and Robert D. Richardson.
- 6:00–7:00 pm. Cocktail reception at San Carlos Institute
- 6:00–6:40 pm. Writers on Chickens
“A short film on the great chicken problem of Key West!” Shortpantz Productions, aka Jane & Carey Winfrey. (Film will loop every 10 minutes; at San Carlos)
- 7:00–8:00 pm. Billy Collins, Mark Doty, Jay Parini: The John Malcolm Brinnin Memorial Reading
SATURDAY, JANUARY 12
- 9:30–9:40 am. Announcements
- 9:40–10:10 am. Paul Hendrickson on Ernest Hemingway: Amid So Much Ruin, Still the Beauty
- 10:10–10:40 am. Judith Thurman: Translating A Life: Who are you? Who am I?
- 10:40–11:10 am. Brenda Wineapple: Hidden in Plain Sight: Emily Dickinson’s Not So Secret Friend
- 11:30–11:55 am. Michael Mewshaw: “Do I Owe You Something?”
- 11:55–12:30 pm. James Atlas: The Shadow in the Garden: A Biographer’s Tale
Book Signings: James Atlas, Paul Hendrickson, Michael Mewshaw, Judith Thurman, Brenda Wineapple
- 1:00–2:00 pm. Exhibit & Reception at Gallery on Greene, 606 Greene St. “Key West Writer Artists”: Works by Phyllis Rose, Annie Dillard, & Tennessee Williams
- 2:15–2:25 pm. From “Writing in General,” in remembrance of Rust Hills. Performed by John Wells.
- 2:25–2:40 pm. Julie Salamon on Wendy Wasserstein: “Wendy and the Lost Boys”
- 2:40–3:20 pm. Mark Doty, Colm Tóibín, Edmund White: The Voices of Our Ancestors: Love In A Dark Time
- 3:40–4:10 pm. Jay Parini: Shaping A Life and the Narrative Arc: How Writers Chew on Other Writers
- 4:10–5:00 pm. James Atlas, Robert D. Richardson, Judith Thurman, Brenda Wineapple: The Work of a Biographer. Moderator: Jay Parini
Book Signings: Julie Salamon, Edmund White
- 7:00–9:30 pm. Dinner at the Harry S. Truman Little White House, 111 Front St.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 13
- 9:30–9:40 am. Announcements
- 9:40–9:55 am. Paul Hendrickson: “Hemingway’s Boat”
- 9:55–10:20 am. Robert D. Richardson: In Search of Lost Time: Biography and Fiction
- 10:20–11:05 am. Rosalind Brackenbury, Pico Iyer, Julie Salamon, Colm Tóibín: How Far Can the Facts Take Us? Moderator: Christopher Lydon
- 11:25–12:05 pm. Geoff Dyer: The Novelistic Essay & the Essayistic Novel
- 12:05–12:45 pm. Jay Parini, Phyllis Rose, Edmund White, Brenda Wineapple: The Biographer as Autobiographer and the Limits of Objectivity. Moderator: James Atlas
Book Signings: Billy Collins, Robert D. Richardson
- 1:00–2:15 pm. Conch Chowder Luncheon at the Oldest House Museum & Garden, 322 Duval St.
Free and open to the public. Doors open at 1:45 pm.
San Carlos Institute, 516 Duval Street
- 2:00–2:10 pm. Welcome. Miles Frieden, Executive Director
- 2:10–2:20 pm. Billy Collins: “Taking Off Emily Dickinson’s Clothes”
- 2:20–2:50 pm. Pico Iyer: The Self as Other. Interviewed by Christopher Lydon.
- 2:50 – 3:20 pm. Michael Mewshaw and Jay Parini on Gore Vidal.
- 3:40–3:50 pm. Mark Doty: “What is the Grass?”
- 3:50–4:30 pm. Judith Thurman, Colm Tóibín, Edmund White, Brenda Wineapple: Writers’ Lives: How a Life Illuminates a Work. Moderator: Daniel Menaker
Book Signings: Billy Collins, Mark Doty, Michael Mewshaw, Jay Parini, Colm Tóibín, Judith Thurman, Edmund White, Brenda Wineapple